Wednesday, February 20, 2013

"Postcards" from Bethlehem

Before I start showing some of my "postcards" from Bethlehem, here is an update on a project I described in my blog of October 26, 2012 (see "older posts"). I called Daoud Nassar of the Tent of Nations, which my church  supports. He told me that although the court rejected their appeal of the demolition order, they are working under new rules to submit a permit application with fresh plans by next Tuesday, February 26, so that they can buy more time. The U.S. and German consulates have been asked to help. Daoud says, "In the end, we will prevail." 

Here are some images of Bethlehem, beginning with the most-visited site...
Humility door to the Church of the Nativity, added in the Ottoman era
Star over traditional site of Jesus' birth





































Nativity scene in Milk Grotto, where according to legend, a drop of Mary's milk
 turned the stone white




















Image of nursing Mary in Milk Grotto
























Mosque of Omar, honoring a seventh-century Muslim promoter of religious tolerance
























Salesian church
























Greek Catholic Church



















Christmas Lutheran Church























Bethlehem University

























That's enough "postcards" from Bethlehem for today. I'll post the rest tomorrow.











No comments:

Post a Comment