Sunday, February 17, 2013

Praying for Palestine AND Israel

St. George's Anglican Cathedral in East Jerusalem



One of our pleasanter--and uplifting--duties as Ecumenical Accompaniers is worshiping at different churches. Today I chose my namesake, St. George's Anglican Cathedral, a large Gothic structure built in 1898 and 1910. They have two English services and one Arabic service every Sunday. I enjoyed the rich liturgy of the Book of Common Prayer. The Dean of the Cathedral, Hosam Naoum, greeted me warmly. He is a member of the local EAPPI advisory committee.




Interior of St. George's
Main stained glass window




















Inside the church there is this poster printed by a British organization, Christian Aid, with what I think is an important thought based on a prayer of a Palestinian Christian. As a matter of fact, in the service we prayed for both the President of the Palestinian Authority and the Prime Minister of Israel (in that order).

EAPPI's policy is that it is not pro-Israel or pro-Palestine but pro-human rights, seeking an end to the occupation based on international humanitarian law and the relevant United Nations resolutions.

1 comment:

  1. Hi George,
    I appreciate your enjoyment of worship in different spaces. St George's is one of my favorite spots because the guest house is where I spent my first night in Jerusalem. I remember having an hour alone in the sanctuary between services, and pulling out my harp and playing all the hymns and appropriate tunes I could think of during that time. When I opened my eyes, I saw a cat, which must have been there the whole time, wander off after my play. A magical moment. I appreciate you keep us informed about the real tragedy happening each day for people in your neighborhood. They are our people too. Thanks for your presence and am thankful for God's movement in your life. BiLL

    ReplyDelete